Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Year's Eve Part Deux

**Sorry for the never ending paragraphs, the format is not doing what I tell it to :( **

So... here it is, the 11th of January already and I have yet to post part two of our New Year's beer selection. I'm such a slacker!

We had a pretty realxing night. Ventured over to the new ramen restaurant for dinner... I won't be going back there. Everything was pre-cooked (even though we were the only customers there) and slimey. Honestly, how hard is it to fry up a fresh dumpling?! Anyways, after dinner we went on an excursion to find cigars to complement our beer for the evening. One closed shop (complete with Panama hats), one head shop and one hilarious mispronunciation of "Devon's" later, we acquire some semi-cheap but very smokable cigars. Oh, we also picked up a Dirty 30 of PBR. I know! What can I say, I'm a good girlfriend. D had a good point, "Why do we want to waste good beer on drunk taste buds?". Now armed with the PBR and cigars, we head home to indulge in some Z-rate movies on Netflix and good beer (to start with).
I chose to start our evening with La Fin Du Monde by Unibroue. Translated, it means "The end of the world". Well, I thought it was fitting. I also kept pronouncing the brewer as "unibrow" (I know... I'm weird) This beer has been patiently sitting in my refrigerator since September, just waiting for the perfect moment to expose it's world-ending flavor. On new year's eve, it struck. Oh my. This was a sexy beer. Rawr. Who would have expected a blond triple temptress to come in such a unsuspecting bottle? Not me, that's for certain. She was also a knockout at 9% abv. which will explain some choices later on in the post. The beer takes on champagne like qualities; very tiny bubbles with a tart taste and a dry mouth-feel. I would rather serve this at a dinner party than any wine. It's just that good. I'd even go as far as a solid 9.7 out of 10. If you see this in the liquor store, (probably on a shelf, since it's refermented in the bottle) then buy it. Never mind the price tag, it is worth every penny. About 900 pennies, give or take.
Let me just say that subscribing to Netflix was the greatest idea ever. We watched a couple of things that night. Some stand-up and a couple of movies. The most notable movie would have been Terror Firmer. Its pretty much a Troma movie within a making of a Troma movie. Horribly campy and filled with blood, Ron Jeremy and pickles. Oh the pickles!!! This set us off on a search to watch the worst movies ever made, which naturally include Plan 9 From Outer Space. *Sigh* How can you not love Ed Wood?! And Vampira!! I digress, check them out for yourself. I promise you'll at least laugh, if not fall in love with classically crappy movies.

Once we finshed Terror Firmer (to the glee of Wil, he's not a fan) we decided to try another seasonal beer out of the book. We went with Old Jubilation from Avery. After many giggles and the sexy-bitch-in-a-bottle, the Old Jubilation didn't get much love. I only took two pictures of it (both of the bottle lable) and served it as is. If you've ever asked me if I wanted a glass for my beer, then you know that my response will usually be "It comes in it's own glass!". So that's how I served it, in it's own glass. I like Colorado beers. I don't think I'll ever be able to move out of CO just because we have so many great breweries. Avery is a Boulder beer but it doesn't taste like hippies. Old Jubilation is a seasonal beer, brewed as an English Strong Ale. It was another nutty beer, this time it was a hint of hazelnut. There were also undertones of mocha and chocolate. This is a tasty beer and if you can still find it, you should grab a sixer. With an 8% abv., it goes down nicely and would compliment a chocolaty dessert. Overall, I think I'd give it a 7ish out of 10.
After our "good" beers, we devolved to PBR and a honey'd tobacco cigar to actually ring in the new year. I must be getting old when a grand total of 4 beers makes me fall asleep during the greatest show ever: The Office. Yes, the American version. Yes, it was on Netflix. I would never fall asleep at 8 o'clock on a Thursday night!!
I hope the beginning of 2009 was good for you and that you were surrounded by people you love doing questionable things!

No comments:

Post a Comment